- 3/4 cup medium bulgur
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned or cooked garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup canned or cooked green beans, drained
- 1 medium red or white onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried mint
- Olive oil and fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest (from one lemon)
- Kosher or sea salt, black pepper, dried or fresh oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, Aleppo pepper, or paprika to taste
- Chopped parsley, green onions, and mint as garnish
- Armenian or Kalamata olives as garnish
- Crumbled Feta cheese as garnish
Place the bulgur in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 20-30 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Drain and set bulgur aside.
In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, garbanzo beans, green beans, onions, bell pepper, cucumber, and jalapeno pepper and toss; add the bulgur, parsley, celery, and mint, and toss together with olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest to taste. Add salt, pepper, and seasonings, and toss again,checking if salad requires more olive oil or lemon juice. Cover and chill for one hour or overnight for best results. Transfer salad to a large bowl and top with choice of garnish. Drizzle with olive oil or lemon juice, if desired.
*Christine’s recipes have been published in the Fresno Bee Newspaper, Sunset and Cooking Light Magazines and thearmeniankitchen.com.
Go to: <http://www.myrecipes.com/search/site/Datian>