- 7-8 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup fine grain bulgur
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Juice of one large lemon
- Olive oil
Garnishing options: paprika or Aleppo pepper, fresh chopped tomatoes, parsley and mint, and a drizzle of olive oil
Bring the broth to a full boil over moderate heat in a large pot.
Meanwhile, in a small pan, sauté the onions, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil for 5-8 minutes until the onions are golden brown. Set aside.
Add the tomato paste to the boiling broth. Stir until tomato paste is distributed evenly before adding the bulgur, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the cooked onions, garlic and bell pepper.