- 3 or 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and thinly diced or sliced
- 2 cups plain white or Armenian yogurt
- 1 medium white or red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (and some lemon zest to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2-3 green onions, finely chopped
- Sea or Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, a dash of paprika or Aleppo pepper to taste
- Enough white vinegar and water (equal parts) to just cover cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Olive oil, lemon slices, dried or fresh mint
Place the diced or sliced cucumbers in a glass bowl, cover with equal parts white vinegar and water, add the salt and sugar and toss. Let stand for 1-2 hours.
Drain cucumbers completely. Add the yogurt, onions, garlic, lemon juice, spices, and remaining ingredients to the cucumbers and combine. Check seasonings, cover, and chill before serving.
Serve cucumbers on a bed of Romaine lettuce or fresh spinach with sliced Armenian cheeses, marinated peppers, and assorted breads or crackers. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with sliced lemon and mint, if desired.