- 2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut for stew
- 3 medium eggplants (peeled or unpeeled), cut into medium pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced or diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 each medium green and red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup each fresh chopped parsley and mint
- Sea or Kosher salt, black pepper, pinch of sweet basil (rahan), and choice of paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and Aleppo pepper
- Olive oil, crushed garlic
Lightly toss the lamb with flour and cook in batches in a pot in olive oil until lightly browned. Add the eggplant, tomatoes, onions, tomato sauce, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic and toss to combine. Season with salt, pepper and choice of spices. Add a cup of water to this mixture and toss again to combine. Arrange the lamb and vegetables in a large baking dish and bake in a 350-degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until bubbly and the eggplant is tender.
Serve over hot rice or bulgur pilaf. Garnish with chopped parsley and mint with crushed garlic on the side.
*Christine’s recipes have been published in the Fresno Bee Newspaper, Sunset Magazine, and Cooking Light Magazine, and at: http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/