By Deacon Allan Yeghia Jendian
YETTEM, Calif. — On Sunday, July 8, a celebratory Badarak was conducted at the Diocesan parish named for St. Mary, in Yettem, commemorating the 108th Anniversary of Consecration of its original Sanctuary.
The badarak was celebrated by Fr. Zaven Markosyan, parish priest of St. Mary, with assistance at the altar by Deacon Allan Jendian, Deacon Randy Tellalian, Sub-Deacon Alan Farsakian, and Stolebearer David Sarfazian. The choir was led by Mary Louise Menendian, accompanied by Yn. Adrine Markosyan at the organ.
Markosyan, now in his seventh year of pastorate, expressed his happiness during his homily and offered his congratulations to the parishioners on this special occasion.
American Diocese Established
In 1898, the Diocese of the Armenian Church of North America was officially established, with headquarters in Worcester, Massachusetts. The immigrant community’s first Armenian Church in America to be consecrated was on January 18, 1891 in the name of Soorp Prgitch (Armenian for “Holy Savior”) by the Very Rev. Hovsep Sarajian. Sarajian, the first Armenian clergyman to set foot on American soil in July 1889 and first Primate of the American Diocese, celebrated the badarak of the Armenian Church in rented facilities and traveled to various cities to perform sacraments where we had established communities.