STEPANAKERT (RFE/RL) — One Azerbaijani soldier was killed and six Armenian servicemen wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh in skirmishes reported late on Thursday, October 14.
The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said that the soldier was killed by an Armenian sniper fire.
The Karabakh Armenian army denied any responsibility for his death. It reported later in the evening that six of its soldiers manning an outpost in Karabakh’s east had been wounded after coming under Azerbaijani fire.
A statement by the Defense Army added that Russian peacekeeping forces deployed in Karabakh were immediately alerted about the truce violation denied by the Azerbaijani side.
Karabakh’s state minister, Artak Beglaryan, said shortly after midnight that shootouts also broke out at several other sections of the “line of contact” around Karabakh but stopped shortly afterwards.
“The situation has now stabilized along the entire line of contact,” Beglaryan wrote on Facebook. ”The military and political leadership of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) is taking urgent steps to further stabilize the situation, making necessary decisions and communicating with relevant parties.”