YEREVAN (Armenpress) — Armenian Minister of Foreign Affairs Zohrab Mnatsakanyan said on December 2 it is important for Turkey to react to the leaked memo which reportedly revealed that Ankara has a military operation plan against Armenia code-named ALTAY.
“Frankly speaking I can neither confirm nor deny the authenticity of that report,” Mnatsakanyan said at a press conference when asked to comment.
“If such an issue or claim exists, then it is the Turkish side that ought to [comment] first. And we haven’t yet heard any response from them. I don’t have to mention that naturally the issue contains serious concern, and we will continue following it,” the Armenian foreign minister said.
Unconfirmed reports that the Turkish military for two decades has had an attack plan for Armenia codenamed ALTAY made headlines last week. Nordic Monitor author Abdullah Bozkurt claims in an article to have obtained classified documents revealing that Turkey’s second Tactical Air Force Command developed operation ALTAY in July 2001.
Bozkurt was contacted for more information and validation, and the author claimed that all information contained in his article is “100 percent authentic.”
According to Nordic Monitor author Abdullah Bozkurt, the Turkish military inspectors found out that some of the pages of the plan had gone missing while conducting a review of the plans at the Controlled Documents Bureau by the Fourth Main Jet Base Command at Ankara’s Akıncı Air Base.