- 4 large fresh artichokes, washed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 1/2 cups canned stewed tomatoes or crushed fresh tomatoes
- Olive oil, fresh chopped mint
- Sea or Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika and Aleppo pepper
- Juice of one large lemon
Wash artichokes, cut off stems, and cut into quarters. Place artichokes quarters in a large bowl and cover with cold water for a few minutes. Drain and set aside.
Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil, add the stewed tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes on medium low heat until bubbly. Add the artichokes to this mixture, toss, and cook for 10-15 minutes longer or until tender. Top with paprika or Aleppo pepper to taste. Add chopped mint and lemon juice at the end, and serve hot.
*Christine’s recipes have been published in the Fresno Bee Newspaper, Sunset Magazine, Cooking Light Magazine, and at http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/