- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 2 green onions, minced (green and white parts)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh parsley, mint and basil
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur
- Sea or Kosher salt and pepper, dash of red pepper
- 3 or 4 cups plain white or Greek yogurt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Paprika and Aleppo pepper
- Fresh lemon juice
Mix the lamb, onions, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, mint, basil, bulgur, salt, pepper and red pepper together in a medium bowl for 10 minutes. Shape into small balls and roll in the flour.
In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a full boil, add the yogurt and stir for a minute, and lower heat to medium. Add the meat balls to the broth, stirring constantly. Cook slowly for 10-12 minutes until meat balls rise to the top.
Serve soup topped with choice of parsley, paprika, Aleppo pepper, and drizzle with fresh lemon juice or olive oil.
Note: Browned onions and chopped fresh garlic may be served as a garnish, if desired.